Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Avacado Shake

Anyone here a Boba fan? Or even know what it is, Ha-ha-ha! Well I didn’t until a couple years back when it started spreading as the new “it” drink. As with all foodie fads in Ca this one started in L.A. then spread to the bay area. Ever since then I have been enjoying the delectable sips of Thai iced tea with Boba (aka Tapioca pearls). But that is not what this post is about. This post is about a drink that I discovered through my experiences at the local Boba place we often go to; an Avocado shake. I had heard from several people that avocado ice cream, shakes are great but I could never bring myself to try it. Well as you could have guessed I eventually mustered up the courage and am so glad I decided to try it. A very creamy shake with that sweet nutty flavor that an avocado has but with a bit more sweetness added.
A couple months have gone by since I first tried the avocado shake and I decided I was ready to attempt it at home. My results we’re a bit more smoothie like than shake so I made a few adjustments to the recipe that I thought would add some creaminess, either way it is definitely a Winner!!  

Avocado Shake
Adapted from A Cozy Kitchen

Ingredients:

1 Avocado
1-2 Tbs Sweetened Condensed Milk*  
1 Scoop of vanilla or coconut ice cream
1/4 C. Coconut Milk
3-4 ice cubes
Pinch of salt.


* I would add this last after tasting since the ice cream will sweeten it already. I made a few alterations in order to use the ice cream but if you want the healthier version please feel free to play around with the measurements and check out A Cozy Kitchen for the original recipe.

Directions:
Blend together all ingredients except for sweetened condensed milk for about 30 seconds, just until starting to combine. Taste and see if you need a little more sweetness, if so add the sweetened condensed milk otherwise continue blending until smooth and creamy; I usually blend on a pulse so that I don’t go overboard and end up with too thin of a shake.
Serve in jars, cups or glasses, and enjoy!

Makes 1 serving but could easily be doubled or even tripled.

No comments:

Post a Comment